Monday, August 11, 2008

Babywearing that goes beyond the Bjorn

I always had Gabriella in her infant car seat or her stroller when we went grocery shopping, to the mall, or on a walk. I hated lugging that heavy thing around and I knew there had to be an easier way, a better way. My friend Meredith introduced me to babywearing. Babywearing is not something we see a lot in the US, but it is practiced worldwide. Babywearing is beneficial to mom and baby. I have found that I can wear Madeline during most activities and still have my hands free to interact with Gabby. I wear Maddie to the water park, library, grocery store, on walks, to the park, etc... The exception is when we go to the mall, I usually take the double stroller because Gabby is too little to walk in the mall. Madeline likes to sleep in the stroller so, the stroller is good for when we are out for a longer time. I have a ring sling and am in the market for purchasing a wrap or a mei tai. I think I am going to buy a wrap and then borrow Meredith's mei tai. Who knows, I might end up buying a mei tai as well. Babywearing is not easy at first and there is a learning curve. I still have a lot of learning and practicing to do. Each time I wear Madeline I become more and more confident with using the sling. If you would like to know more about babywearing here are some links. This one is about the advantages of babywearing and this one is about the pros and cons of different babycarriers.

Gabby likes to try on my sling and put her animals in it. I think I am going to have to get her a child sized sling or wrap to use!

2 comments:

powellsa74 said...

What a sweet little girl!!!

Grammy said...

Gabby looks cute wearing the sling.